AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE: ETHICS
CLASS ACTIVITY: SEVEN DEADLY SINS
Avarice, Lust, Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Ire and Sloth.
Make sure that students understand the meaning of ire and the difference between avarice and envy. Then arrange students in random pairs. Unleash the following:
- Assign a sin to each of the seven characters in this old Russian postcard.
- Just for fun, decide which two sins apply to yourself. Did a partner in the class who knows you well independently choose the same two?
- Are these categories of human failing tied specifically to the christian tradition (like the four cardinal virtues) or are they universal, to a large extent transcending different cultures around the world?
- What is the difference between a “guilt culture” and a “shame culture”? In good TOK fashion illustrate your response with some examples.
- Identifying the sins in the Otto Dix painting is trickier than in the Russian postcard. Check your best attempt against a good internet source.
Identifying the sins in the Otto Dix painting on the right is trickier than in the Russian postcard. Check your best attempt against a good internet source.
Pdf. of images and the short assignment.